Mold Alert: What to do with spoiled food? Here’s how to proceed if we find food in this particular situation and what risks we run.
How often does it happen to open the fridge and find moldy food that needs to be thrown away? Mold is an objective signal that defines food change from a sensory point of view. Once a product is targeted by mold, it spoils its appearance and its smell, but above all its taste, endangering the health of those who decide to eat it anyway.
unconsciously Many people decide to cut off the moldy part Keep the rest: It is not always possible to do this. The mushroom has now taken all the food and is inedible. However, there are serious templates and templates that can come in handy. Let’s find out.
Mold: Which is useful and which is dangerous?
As stated above, there are dangerous templates and molds.”benign“. there Mold It is a microscopic fungus that develops in temperatures between 15 and 30 degreesespecially in environments moisthowever it can grow in different places, such as inside A refrigerator.
Molds are dangerous They are those specific microtoxins, which once they appear in food, if ingested, can cause damage to the liver, kidneys, nerve centers, digestive system and in more severe cases can be carcinogenic.
Among the poisons with a relatively high level of toxicity are the following:
- the AflatoxinContained in feed, cereals, flour, milk, dried fruits and liver damage.
- there Patulintypical in fruit and fruit juices and a problem for the kidneys.
When are templates useful? when they participate in production Antibioticsin fermentation wine And in spices Cheese.
Moldy food: what to do?
First, when we come across a food moldy They must not be eaten, but they must be discarded, as eliminating only the damaged part does not guarantee that the fungus has not affected the rest as well.
In some foods only the part that contains the mold can be eliminated while in some it is not possible let’s see which one falls into a category maybe “Edible::
- Cheese: in old cheeses it is sufficient to remove the moldy part, while in fresh cheeses, such as ricotta and mozzarella, everything must be discarded in the first form of mold;
- nannies And nannies: the sugar in the jam binds to the water and prevents the formation of toxins: the mold that appears on the surface of the jam must be removed, but the rest of the jam can still be eaten;
- apple: While other fruits, once moldy, must be discarded, rotten apples can be used by removing the damaged area.
By storing food poorly, whether in the industrial sector or at home, we can create conditions for mold growth.
To solve this problem, it is recommended Cover the food Stored in the refrigerator With chips and lids or in closed containersand stay away from each other.
In addition to, Store in a dry place Which products should be kept at room temperature is an important tip. It is necessary in areas where molds have formed Cleaning Yes disinfection Very carefully, because some invisible germs may have it contaminated products you find nearby.
“Food expert. Unapologetic bacon maven. Beer enthusiast. Pop cultureaholic. General travel scholar. Total internet buff.”