Forgetting names, or sometimes having difficulty remembering certain words, is a physiological phenomenon that is part of aging. As the years progress, especially after 60, the number of neurons decreases and thus decreases memory Because the part of the brain is still involved, the hippocampus, which is like the safe of all memories and experiences. For example, if neurons decrease in an area located in the center of remembering names, this creates difficulty in remembering them.
This phenomenon is called anomaly and it is not an alarming symptom, as one might think. So it does not mean that there is a possibility of developing Alzheimer’s disease or other neurodegenerative diseases, it is simply a natural phenomenon associated with aging that can be treated, as we will see later, with simple memory exercises.
However, if this slight memory problem is related to others, it is a good idea to investigate by visiting yourself. doctor or better neurologist, which will be able to identify, also through diagnostic tests, the type of problems you are experiencing. This is because the effectiveness of a therapeutic intervention for amnesia is contingent upon the appropriate timing of recognition of the disease. The faster it is detected, the higher the potential for positive intervention. So what are the “alarm bells” that should prompt us to investigate? There are usually six of them.
The six signs that should alert you
The initial symptoms of this form of dementia are related to some aspects:
• memory loss;
• difficulty concentrating;
• Difficulty performing familiar daily tasks;
• difficulty following a conversation or finding the right word;
• be confused about when and where you are;
• Mood Swings
If we or one of our relatives presents with these symptoms, it is good to investigate starting with a simple test carried out at home.
Tests to be done at home
the teacher Perrin affiliate San Donato GroupAdvise: “streetAnd if one suspects the onset of dementia, we can suggest that one’s abilities be “tested” to see if one should worry or not. The test to be taken by yourself or given to a family member is divided into 4 tests and 5 questions::
the certificate I am:
- Say the names of the months or days of the week backwards as quickly as possible without slurring;
- Write a summary of something you heard or read an hour ago;
- Say a few words quickly backwards, for example MONDO or PALLA without making a mistake;
- Remember the main events of the past week.
Immediately after taking the tests, answer the following Requests:
- At work or home, do they indicate that you are more distracted or too slow?
- Have you ever left a known place and found it difficult to orient yourself?
- Do you have to constantly check and review what you’re doing?
- Do you often burn what you cook?
- Did you forget to pay your bills?
In the event that there are doubts about one of the four tests and only one positive answer to one of the questions, it may be worth contacting a specialized center. On the contrary, if the tests are passed without too much difficulty, a useful advice is to always keep our memory trained: here are some important tools to do this.
There are some practices Very useful for training memory and allows you to keep The brain is always on the goEspecially in the elderly like Don’t stop reading and memorizingDevelop your curiosity about things. It is also useful to keep an extension diary And undertake New activitiesWhether it is learning to crochet or knitting that not only trains the memory to remember the stitches, but is also useful on the motor level of the hands, or to start painting with colored point paintings. It is important Use all senses To “remember”, in this way the effect of memory will be enhanced by using the other senses and associating more sensory input.
Other useful practices are for example:
- Help yourself to posters and calendars to write down things that need to be done;
- Connect things to remember with something else. For example a name that can be associated with a song;
- exercising, such as hiking or swimming in a pool;
- Doing activities that relieve stress, anxiety, or depression that may be affecting your memory.
Training the mind means doing the operations of comparing, relating, clarifying, comprehending, categorizing, sequencing, and representing. All of these techniques can be implemented through some types gamesIt should be done alone or with others, in the latter case also an excellent exercise for the spirit. Among the recommended ones:
- Throwing arrows.
- board games
• Checkers and chess
• card game
• Invent fairy tales and represent them with puppets
“Food expert. Unapologetic bacon maven. Beer enthusiast. Pop cultureaholic. General travel scholar. Total internet buff.”