Here are some facts and anniversaries for May 29th:
1. In 1453, the Eastern Roman Empire, led by the last Emperor Constantine XI, fell under the Ottoman siege of Mehmed II, marking the end of the Byzantine Empire.
- In 1919, the aircraft of John Alcock and Arthur Brown completed the first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic Ocean, flying from Newfoundland, Canada to Ireland. Their flight took approximately 16 hours and 27 minutes.
In 1953, Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first confirmed climbers of Everest, the world’s highest mountain.
In 1985, a catastrophic tragedy occurred during the European Football Championships in Brussels, Belgium. During the final match between Juventus and Liverpool, a clash between fans left 39 dead and hundreds injured. This event is known as the Hessel tragedy.
1. In 1903, American composer and pianist Bob Hope was born in London, UK. He is best known for his entertainment career including comedy shows, movies, and concerts.
- In 1958, American actress and director Annette Bening was born in Topeka, Kansas. She is best known for her performances in movies like American Beauty, The Kids Are All Right, and Being Julia.
1. In 1977, English football club Liverpool won its first European Cup, by defeating Borussia Mönchengladbach 3-1 in the final match in Rome, Italy.
- In 2005, Liverpool won the Champions League for the fifth time in its history, defeating AC Milan in the final in Istanbul, Turkey. The match became known as the “Miracle of Istanbul”, as Liverpool recovered from a 0–3 deficit to equalize and then win on penalties.
These are just some of the important events and births that occurred on May 29th. There are many other occasions and interesting facts related to this date.
“Bacon trailblazer. Certified coffee maven. Zombie lover. Tv specialist. Freelance communicator.”