Mercer, one of the world’s largest HR consultancy firms, releases its Quality of Living Index every year. This year’s living index is released and is telling about the best and worst cities when it is about Quality of life.
Karachi aka ‘The City of Lights’ of Pakistan is also included among the 32 cities with the worst quality of life in the world along with Lahore which is recognized as ‘The City of Gardens’.
Living conditions are analyzed according to 39 factors, grouped in 10 categories:
- Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.).
- Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services).
- Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom).
- Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.).
- Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools).
- Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.).
- Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.).
- Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.).
- Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services).
- Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters).
32 cities with the worst quality of life in the world (Mercer)
32. (Joint) Lahore, Pakistan
32 (joint). Luanda, Angola
31. Luanda, Angola
30. Yangon, Myanmar
29. Karachi, Pakistan
28. Tehran, Iran
27. Lome, Togo
26. Tashkent, Uzbekistan
25. Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire
24. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
23. Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
22. Harare, Zimbabwe
21. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
20. Lagos, Nigeria
19. Abuja, Nigeria
18. Dushanbe, Tajikistan
17. Dhaka, Bangladesh
16. Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
15. Tripoli, Libya
14. Niamey, Niger
13. Antananarivo, Madagascar
12. Bamako, Mali
11. Nouakchott, Mauritania
10. Conakry, Guinea Republic
9. Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo
8. Brazzaville, Congo
7. Damascus, Syria
6. N’Djamena, Chad
5. Khartoum, Sudan
4. Port Au Prince, Haiti
3. Sana’a, Yemen
2. Bangui, Central African Republic
1. Baghdad, Iraq