The ceasefire will begin at noon on Saturday (4 am ET) and will be implemented for “humanitarian purposes, for the exchange of prisoners of war and other detained persons and dead bodies.”
The State Department said the ceasefire criteria would be agreed upon separately.
The announcement comes after diplomats met in Moscow and entered into talks mediated by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
The Nagorno-Karabakh dispute had caught on in the heat since the 1994 ceasefire, but clashes began on September 27th. It is unclear what started this latest escalation. Azerbaijan says Armenia provoked the clashes with aggression, and Armenia says Azerbaijani forces attacked.
A spokeswoman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said at least 24 civilians were killed, 121 injured, and more than 300 buildings destroyed since then.
The area is inhabited and controlled by ethnic Armenians, and it is helped by the Armenians in the diaspora, but it is located within the Azerbaijani lands. It is heavily armed and its forces are supported by Armenia, which has a security alliance with Russia.
Azerbaijan has always claimed that it will take back the territories that are internationally recognized as Azerbaijani.
“Infuriatingly humble social media ninja. Devoted travel junkie. Student. Avid internet lover.”