KARACHI: After unclear and perplexing speculations about whether Zimbabwe going to visit as per scheduled despite Wednesday’s Karachi terrorist attack, Zimbabwe on Friday has finally decided to go ahead with this month’s cricket tour to Pakistan.
Chairman Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Shaharyar Khan publicised Zimbabwe’s move to media in Lahore.
While addressing to media reporters, he said Zimbabwe Cricket Chairman Wilson Manase called him three time to reaffirm that team Zimbabwe would be touring Pakistan as per schedule.
Zimbabwean team is due to land in Pakistan on May 22 to play three One-Day Internationals and two Twenty20 International matches.
Although a security team working under the supervision of Zimbabwe Cricket had expressed satisfaction over the tour following which the schedule was announced, apprehensions rose after Wednesday’s terrorist attack in Pakistan’s largest city causing lives of at least 45 people.
In the wake of this incident, Zimbabwe decided to pull out of the tour but in an awkward turnaround retracted its move within less than half-an-hour.
Earlier, the Zimbabwean board released a statement saying that a move had been made not to tour on the counsel of Harare’s supreme sports regulatory authority, the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC). The SRC had also cited reservations over the security of the touring party.
But soon after news release was issued, the statement was withdrawn and Zimbabwe Cricket spokesperson Lovemore Banda said talks were still in undergoing and no move had been made on abrogating the tour.