FAISALABAD: Endured an almost five years’ ban, Muhammad Amir said on Tuesday he was focused on joining Pakistan’s national squad for next year’s World T20 event.
The 23-year-old, after an impressive re-entry in a major domestic event, has been allowed to play national cricket before his five-year ban ends on September 2.
On Monday, the left-arm pacer up-rotted the stump of a batsman facing him on his very first legitimate delivery after starting with a wide one.
In a post-match interview, Amir said ‘I enjoyed bowling in the match and picking up a wicket so early was exciting.’
He said that his attention is on making a comeback for Pakistan in the World Twenty20 scheduled in Indian next year.
Meanwhile, the pacer took 22 wickets in last month’s Patron’s Trophy, which is only one level below domestic first-class cricket.
It marked a remarkable comeback since the International Cricket Council (ICC) relaxed his five-year ban in January this year.
The move came after the Pakistan Cricket Board appealed the ICC let him to play domestic cricket a few months before his ban officially ends in September.
When he had come under the hot water five years ago, Amir was one of the best bowlers in international cricket, having taken 51 wickets in Tests, 25 in ODIs and 23 in Twenty20 matches.