The slogan the PGA of America coined several a long time in the past to commemorate and encourage its PGA Championship as the final of the 4 major championships in the calendar calendar year was: “Glory’s past shot.’’
This week’s PGA Championship, to be performed at Harding Park in San Francisco, signifies “Glory’s initial shot.’’ It not only will be the initially important championship of 2020, but the 1st carried out given that the British Open up was performed in July 2019 at Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland.
With the COVID-19 pandemic having pushed the PGA from Might to August, canceled the British Open and postponed the U.S. Open up and Masters to September and November, respectively, the PGA Championship is batting leadoff to the truncated main championship year.
It does so with the PGA Tour owning executed eight weeks of occasions in its restart. And it comes with a list of a season’s truly worth of remarkable storylines.
In which to commence?
- With Brooks Koepka is attempting to carry out something no one particular has finished in 93 many years: a threepeat? This inspite of Koepka getting slumped for the much better part of the previous year with a knee injury and erratic play.
- With Jon Rahm and his freshly minted No. 1 position, obtained two months back with his victory at the Memorial Match, seeking to gain his initially career important championship just after not getting really contended to earn a single in his to start with 13 attempts as a professional?
- With Tiger Woods, who’s played just four match rounds due to the fact February and just three tournaments in 2020, striving to gain his 16th significant championship?
- With Rory McIlroy, the perceived best player in the world, attempting to regain the No. 1 rating Rahm wrested from him two months in the past?
- With Bryson DeChambeau and his 30-one thing lbs of additional muscle and new-discovered size off the tee supposedly poised to modify the video game?
- With Dustin Johnson, who gained the Vacationers Championship and adopted that with a pair of 80s en route to a missed slice at the Memorial then an opening-spherical 78 and a withdrawal from the 3M Championship a week ago?
- How about with Jordan Spieth, who’s been slumping so badly the previous three years that no 1 even remembers he’s a PGA Championship victory absent from finishing the rare job Grand Slam?
- Or the new fleet of 20-somethings speedily increasing up the rankings — led by Colin Morikawa, Matthew Wolff and Viktor Hovland?
- Or Phil Mickelson, who still thinks he has a key championship victory or two in him at age 50 and flashes that very ability to do so from time to time?
We can go on, because there are extra storylines. But you get the photograph. This week in San Francisco has prospective to be unforgettable.
“There are so a lot of excellent storylines, one thing good’s likely to happen … we just do not know which one particular it is,’’ Seth Waugh, the CEO of the PGA of America, explained to The Submit this past 7 days. “We’ve received 97 of the top rated 100 in environment rankings coming. We’re fortuitous to have the strongest field on paper in golf for the earlier 10 or 15 years. Absolutely everyone would like to engage in, and we’re excited about that.
“We’re very pleased to be that initially main. Now that we’re finally back again into the major period, it’s heading to be a great run of golfing. We’ll have us and then [FedExCup] playoffs start out and then U.S. Open up and the Masters. It is going to be a sprint, and a great one particular and we’re very proud to kick that off.’’
Waugh mentioned the week, which will include things like no spectators on internet site as the PGA Tour has been accomplishing for the previous two months considering that it’s restart, “will feel various than the final 8 months, due to the fact it is a main and that tension is there.”
“I imagine it’ll be unique and greater than the previous eight weeks, simply because a big generally is,’’ he reported. “We’re thrilled to be the first types out, for sure. Ideally, we’ll have a close match and a good deal of drama to the conclusion.’’