Many of us give in to the urge to eat a piece of chocolate before bed, but it is not a good habit at all.
Chocolate is one of the pleasures of life, but for various reasons that we will explain in this article, we must never give in to the temptation to eat it after dinner.
Some people love chocolate and some people lie! Seriously: it’s almost impossible to find someone who doesn’t love chocolate. Also because there are so many varieties that will satisfy everyone’s taste. There are those who go crazy for white chocolate and those who only eat it if it is darkthose who prefer milk chocolate and those who prefer gianduja.
Then, for several years, you could find everything on store shelves: from chocolate with fruit flavor to vegan chocolate made from almond liqueur. Many of us like Indulge in a piece of chocolate after dinner or before bed. But this habit is not healthy at all.
Chocolate: Don’t eat it after dinner
Chocolate, like any other food, should not be demonized. In fact, it guarantees many benefits, especially the dark one with a high cocoa content, at least 85%. But eating it after dinner is not good at all. Let’s see why.
- The first reason is that Chocolate contains three stimulants that can disturb sleep Or even not sleeping at all. These substances are caffeine, theobromine and sugar.
- The second reason is that it contains caffeine as a diuretic. Chocolate can stimulate nocturia. Thus, we will have to go down to the bathroom with obvious inconvenience to our survival.
- The third reason is that chocolate, again due to the caffeine, It can make night sweats worse.
- The fourth reason is that It can cause stomach acid and gastroesophageal reflux.
- Finally, the fifth and last reason is that chocolate is eaten after dinner It can increase inflammation On the body and also have negative long-term consequences such as diabetes and obesity.
It is normal for inflammation and the aforementioned diseases to develop regardless of when we eat chocolate, but it is also true that if we suffer from inflammation, we will have organic reactions that will not allow us to sleep well.
So we remember not to abuse chocolate and Take it at least two hours before bed Or even better, in the morning: a small square of dark chocolate is enough for breakfast to give us just the right boost. If we’ve had a classic stomach ache before bed, it’s best to soothe it with low-fat yogurt, a handful of dried fruit, or a slice of bread and peanut butter.
“Food expert. Unapologetic bacon maven. Beer enthusiast. Pop cultureaholic. General travel scholar. Total internet buff.”