If you’re an avid gamer, or have one at home, you’ve probably wondered more than once How can you save electricity with your PlayStation 4?
But is it really possible to reduce the power consumption of our console? If you follow the appropriate recommendations, absolutely yes. Playstation4 does not have a particularly high consumption, but If you end up playing it for hours upon hours, they can start to affect our walletSo why not take advantage of some helpful tips?
Below you will find our magic tips to protect the environment and save money.
Save by playing
1. By entering standby mode, you can use some settings in the console to save power. For example, it is possible to set our Playstation4 not to connect to the Internet, thus preventing automatic updates. But also remember that this also turns off power to the console’s USB ports. Be careful if you don’t want to end up with your own dashboard.
2. Would you like to spend the evening watching some movies? Maybe taken straight from your Blu-ray collection? Then we advise you not to use the console, instead, if you have the possibility, use the Blu-ray player to play your favorite movies. Compared to the PlayStation, the player consumes only about 20 watts, which amounts to 80 watts less per hour.
3. If you want to take advantage of some streaming platform, again, if you can, don’t use PlayStation. Streaming through consoles uses 10 times more power than streaming to a laptop, Blu-ray player, set-top box or smart TV. Here, you now know everything you need for a more eco-friendly movie night.
4. Get a power strip with independent switches. This will allow you to individually turn off each entry that you are not using, so you are not wasting electricity even when you are not playing with your Playstation. A word of caution though: Make sure the console is completely turned off (and not put to sleep) before turning off the power switch, or else your Playstation hard drive may be damaged.
5. Don’t underestimate the “sleep mode” of your Playstation. It is very useful when you want to stop and resume your gaming session exactly where you left off after a short while. You can take advantage of Rest Mode even when a new update is downloaded and we don’t need to play, which reduces the power consumption of the console.
6. Activate the Playstation power saving settings, this will allow the console to enter “sleep mode” after one hour of inactivity, the time that can be reduced to save more. To prevent the console from continuing to turn on when you are not using it, we can instead take advantage of the function that allows you to automatically turn off the console after 10, 30 or 60 minutes of inactivity.
7. Last tip: Always update the system software, whenever possible, as it may contain new functions that reduce the power consumption of your Playstation.
“Bacon trailblazer. Certified coffee maven. Zombie lover. Tv specialist. Freelance communicator.”