The ICC Awards 2016 are underway, and the big news coming for Pakistan cricket fans is that Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq has been awarded the ‘ICC Spirit of Cricket Award’ this time.
— ICC (@ICC) December 22, 2016
Misbah is the first Pakistan player to win the award with the previous winners being MS Dhoni (2011), Daniel Vettori (2012), Mahela Jayawardena (2013), Katherine Brunt (2014) and Brendon McCullum (2015). New Zealand also won this award in 2004, 2009 and 2010, England in 2005 and 2006, and Sri Lanka in 2007 and 2008.
The other awards to be given in this event are:
Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Test Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Men’s Twenty20 International Performance of the Year
· ICC Women’s Twenty20 International Cricketer of the Year
· David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year
· ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year
· ICC Test Team of the Year
· ICC ODI Team of the Year
· ICC Women’s Team of the Year
Reacting to this big new, captain Misbah-ul-Haq said: “I feel honoured and humbled to have won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award. To lift the Test mace earlier this year and now this in the twilight of my career, is a message for every athlete that age is not a barrier as long as the sportsperson maintains highest fitness levels and continues to perform up to international standards.
“As a team, we have focused on playing within the rich traditions of the sport with a positive mindset and approach so that we can entertain the spectators and fans, and at the same time, challenge the oppositions. I am glad that this has been noticed and recognised by the game’s governing body.”